In sprucing up our barn, we moved the big door to right behind a stump. Now it was time to take that stump out.
It was a cherry tree, dead a few years. My first thought was to cut it off at ground level, and deal with the remnant later. A couple of cuts told me that was not going to work. It was hard as can be, and my saw was not so sharp.
So I did it the old fashioned way.
Finally it started to wiggle. A little more digging revealed two more roots, going almost straight down. It was not long before it was laying on its side.
I filled the hole in with dirt and rocks, and mounded it a bit, hoping it will compact to level over winter. I was much happier with this result than if I had just cut it off. I know we would have been fighting that remnant, and eventually hired someone to come and grind it out. This way, all it cost was two hours of my time, and a new edge for my chain.
(The only mishap was the groggy yellowjacket who somehow got into my pants. A sting or two on the back of the knee was all the damage. Not bad, considering.)