-

-

Sunday, December 11, 2011

Leaf Job

I grew up in the city. I did chores in the yard and garden, but never chose to spend much time out there. Mowing and some forced weeding was about extent of my childhood farm work.

So when we moved to our first country place, with 1.3 acres, I had a lot to learn. Fortunately, Phoebe had a lot to teach.

Not only did she grow up on the homestead, she is a an avid gardener. So when it comes to plants and animals, she has a lot of experience and interest. I have learned a lot over the years, but still feel like a city boy playing at country. At least I enjoy it.

Here is one of Phoebe's ideas, that I was happy to execute:

We have a big Broadleaf Maple at the other house.
 
It dumps a ton of leaves in the fall.
Years ago Phoebe started using the leaves to mulch her garden over the winter.
The leaves get raked up and used to help make the garden better for the spring. It has perfect balance; a waste product becoming a asset with no additional effort needed.

1 comment:

  1. I wish we had a maple tree on our place. I would do the exact same thing as you. I've thought about going down the street and asking for some of our neighbors maple leaves.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting, we love hearing from you! If you have trouble leaving a comment please check if your computer is set to reject pop-up windows or third party cookies. For some reason these will keep you from being able to post.